When news about the TTSH broke, we know that today’s report isn’t going to be good.

And it’s not just bad; it’s the worst this year.

As of 12pm today (29 Apr), the Ministry of Health (MOH) has preliminarily confirmed 35 new cases of COVID-19 infection.

19 of them are imported cases.

16 of them are community cases. According to MOH, amongst them, 7 are family members of “Case 62517”, and had already been placed on quarantine earlier. 8 are linked to Case “62541”, and were detected from their proactive testing of patients and staff in the affected ward.

Following the detection of Case 62541, Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) has locked down Ward 9D, and tested the patients who had been in the ward. As a precautionary measure, all staff working in TTSH wards will also be tested for COVID-19 infection. All close contacts of the cases, including patients, visitors and staff who had been in Ward 9D, will be placed on quarantine. Visitors will not be allowed into the hospital wards while investigations are ongoing.

This brings the total number of cases in Singapore to 61,121.

Based on yesterday’s figures, the number of new cases in the community has increased from 9 cases in the week before to 13 cases in the past week. Needless to say, we can expect a lot more now.

The number of unlinked cases in the community has also increased from 5 cases in the week before to 6 cases in the past week.

TTSH Now Restrict Visitors to All Wards Until Further Notice; Previously Had Allowed 2 Visitors

Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) will not be allowing any visitors in its wards after a nurse working there tested positive recently.

This comes just a day after its decision to limit the number of visitors for a patient to two a day.

The hospital announced the move in a Facebook post today afternoon (29 Apr).

“Please be informed that no visitors will be allowed into our wards until further notice,” TTSH said.

“These are necessary measures to contain the situation and protect our patients and staff. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and we thank you for your understanding.”

It added that those with concerns can contact the hospital at 6357 3078.

What Happened

It all began with the infection of a 46-year-old Filipino nurse who was deployed at a general ward in TTSH – Ward 9D.

The woman completed her vaccinated regimen on 18 Feb, but developed a cough, sore throat, and body aches on 27 Apr.

She sought treatment at TTSH where she later tested positive for COVID-19.

The woman was isolated, but the virus had already spread to others in the ward.

Four Others in Ward 9D Test Positive 

So far, four more people in TTSH have tested preliminarily positive for COVID-19. They are a doctor and three patients who were being cared for in the same ward.

One of the infected patients in Ward 9D is believed to be a 72-year-old woman who had been warded at the hospital since 20 Apr for rheumatoid arthritis.

She developed a cough and fever on Sunday (25 Apr) and tested positive a couple of days later.

The woman was supposed to get her first shot of the COVID-19 vaccine yesterday (28 Apr).

To know more about COVID-19 vaccines, watch this video to the end:

Due to the outbreak of infections, the hospital has locked down Ward 9D and placed all visitors, patients, and staff working there under quarantine.

Epidemiological investigations and contact tracing are ongoing. The nurse’s infection is currently unlinked.

338 Active Cases

There are currently 112 confirmed cases who are still in hospital. Of these, most are stable or improving, and none is in the intensive care unit.

226 are isolated and cared for at community facilities. These are those who have mild symptoms, or are clinically well but still test positive for COVID-19.

30 have passed away from complications due to COVID-19 infection.

Featured Image: kandl stock / (Image for illustration purpose only)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *